Model Details

Kit:
Revell 1949 Mercury Coupe Custom, 1/25th scale.

Detailing Items:
"Out Of Box".

Paint:
Zero Paints, Alclad Prismatic, Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

1949 Mercury Coupe Custom
I found this kit in a model shop whilst we were in Brussels for a long weekend, it was a choice between this and a Tamiya 95 Mustang Cobra R. In the end it was the Mercury that made its way back to the UK from Belgium that weekend.
After having the kit sitting in my stockpile for a few years, I decided to use it for a small club project that a few other members were involved with, building a custom/hot rod model for display on the club stand at the IPMS(UK) Nationals in Telford 2012. The model was built straight out of the box without adding any extra detail to it.
This model construction starts with the engine which has a few custom details added to enhance the look of the engine, these included chrome plated rocker covers, chromed triple carbs and air filters. The engine assembles up without any trouble and looks quiet presentable straight out of the box, but you could add extra detail including wiring and plumbing, etc. The chassis is the next section of the model to build. This consists of a complete chassis frame to which the front and rear suspension unit are fitted, then once the whole chassis was assembled, it was put aside ready for painting. The floor and engine bay come as a one piece moulding, to which the bulkhead is added. Next you are meant to add the interior side panels and dashboard during this point of the build, but I left them off so that the underside and engine bay could be painted in the bodycolour. The panels and dash were painted and detailed seperately then fitted in place during final assembly.
The bodyshell was cleaned up of any mould lines and sink marks from the ejector pins and then once I was happy, the body had a couple a coats of primer followed by a wet sand afterwards. A final check over the body was done and any last marks were removed, re-primered then sanded again and all of the panel lines were cleared out of any residue from sanding. All of the body parts received a few coats of Zero Paints Palladium Silver and to add an extra twist to the model, I gave it a light coat of Alclad Prismatic Jade. After the body was left to dry for a couple of days, it was given a few coats of Halford clear laquer and again left to dry and harden before polishing could commence. Whilst this was happening, work continued on the interior and the chassis with final construction and painting. The chassis now had the engine fitted before the body floor was glued to the chassis. All of the interior parts could now start to be fitted to the body floor, the inner door panels with dashboard and front and rear seats completed this stage of the build. The wheels were fitted last of all to complete the chassis construction.
Work now went back to the bodyshell once it had been polished to remove any orange peel or marks. All of the trim for the windows had some Bare Metal Foil added, both the front and rear screens had the trim on the glazed parts whilst the side windows had it on the body. All of the lights were now fitted followed by the chosen custom radiator grill. All of the glaing was now fitted to the body before I fixed it to the chassis and floor section. I had decided earlier in the build that I was going to use the side pipes that came with the kit and not the stock exhaust system. The only problem with these was that they do not connect up with the exhaust manifolds, so some plastic rod was shaped and cut to length to fill this gap and complete the system. The last parts to be fitted were the front and rear bumper, which I went with the stock ones as they looked better then the custom ones, and the wipers blades as the final parts. To finish off the model, I trimmed down some Mad Dog number plates to fit and glued them to the front and rear bumpers of the model.

© Copyright Michael Lomax
All images © Copyright H M Lomax