Mirage 3C title

Model Details

Kit:
Eduard "Weekend Kit" Dassault Mirage IIIC, 1/48th scale.

Detailing Items:
None

Paint:
Xtracrylix XA1126 Dk Blue/Grey, Revell Enamel Aluminium, plus other various colours from Mr Hobby, Xtracolor and Tamiya.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

Dassault Mirage IIIC
This kit was given to me partially built by my mate Richard after he couldn't get on with it. So after it had been sitting in my ever growing stockpile of kits for a year, I decided to take it on holiday with me to fill those times interrupted by bad weather. Richard had built the main fuselage assembly with the cockpit all painted and the addition of a resin ejector seat. This was as far as he got, so I finished off the last bits inside the fuselage before fitting the wing assembly. The general assembly on this kit was not too bad, but I have some issues with the fitting of some parts and the large mould lines found on some of the smaller parts.The kit came with the marking for one specific aircraft and the instructions were not exactly clear in some parts. But there is a choice of armourment and drop tanks to be slung underneath the aircraft.
I was not going to build a medal winning model with this kit, it was more an experiment to see what Eduard kits are like prior to me building my Eduard FW190 and F6F-3 Hellcat kits. So no extra details were going to be added and the painting was to be basic with slight weathering done. To start with, I primed the model with Tamiya's white primer and gave the underneath and undercarriage bays a couple of coats of Revell's Aluminium through the airbrush. Once this was masked up, I gave the upper half a few light coats of the Xtracrylix Dark Blue/Grey followed by any other colours on the fuselage. When dry, a couple of coats of good old Johnsons Klear before the decals were applied. Then another coat of Johnsons to seal the decals and then some weathering using Promodeller Dark Dirt wash followed by a satin finish of Johnsons. Final assembly then proceeded with the fitting of the undercarriage, bay doors, Matra missile, rocket pods and cockpit canopy.
So, the end result. Surprisingly, I have ended up with a nice looking model, even with the fitting issue disguised using some filler near the nose. I added the access ladder for the pilot, but he has not been assembled and painted yet, but that might happen at some point in the future. I have been told that the Eduard FW190 and F6F-3 Hellcat I have are much better kits then this one, and looking at the contents of their boxes has confirmed this. These are basic kits in the Eduard "Weekend " range and put aside the problems I found with this model, for a quick build in this scale they are ideal. So I do not think this will be the last one from this range I will build.