battered beetle title

Model Details

Kit:
Gunze Sangyo
1956 Volkswagen Beetle Oval Window

Detailing Items:
Promodeller washes, Carrs weathering powders.

Paint:
Halfords car spray, one of the Ford Greys.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

1956 Volkswagen "Battered" Beetle
When I originally started this project, it was to be built to be a display model. But as the build progressed, I was a little disappointed with the quality of the moulding of the bodyshell. The model was about 80% completed when I stopped work on it and packed the model away back in its box until I could decide upon the future direction of the project.
Jump forwards about 2 years, I was sitting in my workshop one afternoon looking at some old car magazines. In one of the magazines, there was some photos of cars sitting in gardens and yards waiting for someone to restore them back to their former glory. Looking at these cars, some with just rust and faded paint, others suffering from accident damage, I got thinking to myself "Why don't I try to model this?". After looking through my selection of unbuilt kits, I remembered about the Beetle that was started all that time ago.
Out came the model from storage in its box and after spending a little time looking and thinking, I set to work. It was decided to that there was to be some accident damage to the bodywork. So out came my small blowtorch and with a low flame, the offside front wing was softened and reshaped. Once I was happy with this dent, the roof was my next target. I wanted to make the roof look like some local kids had been jumping on it causing it to be dented. But I had the flame up a bit too high and melted a small hole into the middle of the roof. After some initial panicking thinking " How do I fix this now?", out came the filler and the hole was gradually filled. To hide this mistake, I decided to cover it up by making a tarpaulin and use it to cover the roof, thus hide my stupidity.
To create the rust holes in the bodywork, various sanding drums and burrs were used to wear away the plastic from the inside outwards. As the plastic got thinner, the drill speed was slowed down so that it did not take too much away and just leave a thin layer of plastic with a small hole worn through looking like a rust hole. The offside front suspension was cut and repositioned to look like it was damaged in an accident. After checking the wheels position in comparison with the damage on the body, extra glue was added around the cut suspension points for strengthening.
Various panels were painted different colours to represent parts either robbed from another car or some new panels in red oxide primer. The body and chassis was then weathered with rust coloured paint, weathering washes and powders and given a coat of Johnson's Klear to seal them. The tarpaulin was made paper cut to size then painted with green paint. When dry, it was then screwed up, opened then screwed up again and opened. Six small holes were pierced around the edge and blue thread was used to represent blue nylon rope to tie the tarpaulin down on the car. Once this was in position, a dirty wash was applied over the model to finish off the neglected look of the car.
© Copyright Michael Lomax
All images © Copyright H M Lomax