F-84G Thunderjet Title

Model Details

Kit:
Tamiya's F-84G Thunderjet, 1/72nd scale.

Detailing Items:
Out Of Box

Paint:
Revell Metallic Aluminium, various Tamiya, Revell and Hobby Color paints.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

F-84G Thunderjet
How I love the colour schemes that the American's did to their fighter jets back in the fifties, especially on the bare metal examples. This is the fourth model I have done from this era and the second Thunderjet. The other was a HobbyBoss easy assemble with my grandson.
This is the Tamiya kit, which I think is a lovely detailed model when built and is still available according to Tamiya's main website. I used to option to have the machine gun housing open on this model, which Tamiya supply a well detailed set of machine guns, magazines and other electronic boxes. The cockpit has been detailed with controls and switches, that just spending a little time to paint them, brings them to life. This is finished with a decal for the main control panels and decal seat harnesses.
As to Tamiya's usual standard, the kit went together very well with not much work required on the fuselage joints, unlike some other manufacturers. Even the wings assembled without any hitches and minimal cleaning of the joints. This happens to be the first Tamiya aircraft that I have built in any scale and I'm very pleased with it, so I'm waiting to see how my 1/32nd scale F-14 Tomcat goes together. The kit comes with two schemes to use on the model, but there are plenty aftermarket decals available for this kit, including one of the schemes included in the Tamiya kit. But the decals supplied with the kit are an excellent quality so unless you are doing a different scheme, why use the afermarket ones.
As in my usual practice, the only clean aircraft are what come out of the factory or workshop, or ones found on display in museums. So as this model is an aircraft in active service, is has to be weathered up. Once the decals were dry, I gave the model a coat of Johnsons Klear and left it to dry overnight. The next day I went over the panel lines with Promodeller's dark dirt wash then removed the excess when it was dry. I then continued the weathering process using a selection of Carrs weathering powders and chalk pastels, then sealed this with a coat Klear matted down. The model was then finished with some of my dirt mix that I use through the airbrush.