M2A2 Bradley Title

Model Details

Kit:
Modelcraft M2A2 Bradley IFV, 1/35th scale.

Detailing Items:
"Out Of Box".

Paint:
Humbrol, Mr Hobby, Tamiya, Xtrcrylix and Revell paints.

The photographs in this Gallery are temperary until the proper ones are taken.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guest book Page.

Back To Gallery Index

M2A2 Bradley IFV "See you back at home!"
I started this project whilst I was away on holiday to fill in any time where we were not doing anything. The kit was originally designed as a motorised model which has been re-released as a non-motorised kit under the Modelcraft name.There is options in the kit where you can have the rear doors open , or the hatches open, but there is no interior detail supplied with the kit. The quality of the moulded detail on the kit is not too bad for a kit that is basically meant to be a toy.
The Bradley has been built straight out of the box, with no extra detail added. My plan was to use this as a testbed to try out some new weathering techniques, but the kit did not have any decals with it. So, searching around the internet, I downloaded some 1/72nd scale decals and enlarged them up to 1/35th. Now I knew which colour scheme I was going to use, my plan of action for painting started. After a couple of coats of primer, I started to paint the Green, Brown and Black NATO scheme matching the one on the instruction sheet. The weathering technique I was trying out was the salt and water method where you spray a mist of water on the model and sprinkle some ground salt on it. At this stage, the side armour panels, road wheels and tracks had been left off the model for painting. The finished model was going to be in the marking of a Bradley during the first Gulf War, so the final colour was going to be US Gulf Sand.
Starting with the hull, I sprayed a mist of distilled water over parts of the tank hull in small areas at a time. I then sprinkled table salt over the parts that I knew would have the most wear and tear from being out in the desert. After the hull was completed with the salt, I continued with the turret, armoured side panels and road wheels with the same method. After leaving the salt to dry overnight, the whole model received a couple of light coats of US Gulf War Armour from the Xtrcrylix range. Once the paint had been left overnight to dry, the salt was gently rubbed away from the model leaving the NATO scheme showing through in patches. Next the lights and other items on the hull and turret to finish it off.
After the tyres had been painted on the road wheels, they were glued to the hull and the tracks fitted in place. These for some reason were not long enough to join up, so a couple of staples on each side helped to breech the gap. This would not be seen as they would be behind the side armour panels. But why are they short if this is meant to be a motorised model? Once the side panels were glued into place, I decided to try out some weathering using some oil paints. After reading up on a couple of article on this method of weathering, I decided to keep this method for just doing rust marks over the Bradley and then finished off with a dark wash to fill in the panel lines, etc. When I was pleased with the finished look, I gave the model a dusting over with some Iraqi Sand colour from the Vallejo range of paints. Final weathering was done using chalk pastels and weathering powders, then a couple of wire aerials were added to the turret and the Bradley was finished.
This kit came with a single figure that sat in the turret. As it was a complete standing figure, I decided to use him standing outside he Bradley. So, after some thinking about it, I decided to have him standing at the front of the Bradley with his hand resting on the hull as if he was patting the Bradley. Some M16 rifles also came with the kit, so the arms positions were altered slightly to make him pat the hull and hold a M16 by the barrel. A piece of wire was glued into the sole of a foot to locate the figure on the stand, then a backpack from Tamiya was glued to the base for the rifle's stock to rest on. For how the base was made, look at "Easy Bases pt2" in the "Hints and Tips" section of my website where you will also find my page on "Salt Weathering" here to.

© Copyright Michael Lomax
All images © Copyright H M Lomax