Supermarine Spitfire Title

Model Details

Kit:
Academy Supermarine Spitfire FR. Mk.XIVe, 1/48th scale

Detailing Items:
Out of the box.

Paint:
Xtracrylix XA1010 Aircraft Grey/Green, XA1001 RAF Dark Green, XA1003 RAF Med. Sea Grey, XA1004 RAF Dark Sea Grey, Tamiya, Revell and Mr Hobby paints.

Awards:

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

Supermarine Spitfire FR.Mk.XIVe
A few months ago, our club's monthly competition theme was "Spitfire's" to commemorate the anniversary of the "Battle Of Britain". I was not happy with my selection of Spitfire kits sitting in my stockpile, but I saw a couple of Spitfire kits at a show one weekend, one in 1/72nd scale and the other, this 1/48th scale one from Academy. So being unable to decide between them, I brought both! So after some debating over the two new kits and the others at home, I decide to build this model for the competition.
Work started and progressed with some speed, which for me is not the normal thing and there was a deadline to finish it for the competition.The interior was done first with assembly and painting of the front and rear sections followed by the usual weathering being added. The two fuselage halves had the interior detailing parts glued in place before these were sprayed followed by more weathering to complete them. The cockpit sections were then glued into position on one of the fuselage halves ensuring they were in the correct position before matching the second half and gluing them both together. Little work was required to clean up the joint on this model as there was minimal gaps. The main wings were next to be started, first they had the gun bays painted before the full assembly of the wings with the clipped tips were carried out. I was having the gun bays open on this model but the guns were not fitted until final assembly once everything was painted and weathered. After these were fitted to the fuselage, the tail planes were assembled then added and once all of the wings were set, any gaps were filled and cleaned up. The remaining parts for the fuselage including tail wheel bay doors, air intakes, radiator enclosures and external fuel tank were glued in place. The main undercarriage doors, gun bay doors and cockpit door were held in their closed positions using blutac and the the cockpit opening was masked off ready for painting. The propeller was the last main part to be assembled of the kit and the parts for the undercarriage were all removed from the srues and cleaned up.
Everything first received a coat of white primer then the fuselage was checked over for any marks of which was cleaned up and re-primed. This kit had the choice of seven different schemes in it, six in all-over silver from various air forces and a racing scheme. The last one was in camouflage of the RAF 273 Squadron SEAC based in Burma during 1945/46, this was the one I chose to do for this model. After the panel lines received a little pre-shading, the upper surfaces had a couple of light coats of RAF Dark Sea Grey to start with. I made some paper masks by enlarging the painting instruction sheet to roughly the correct size and printed a few copies off. Next I cut out the grey areas of the camouflage scheme from all elevations and stuck them in position on the model using rolled up Blutac. Once I was happy with their placement, the RAF Dark Green colour was airbrushed to finish the upper surfaces. Once the paint was dry, the paper masks were removed and any over sprays were touched up and the model was left overnight. Next the entire top half was masked off ready to spray the underside RAF Med. Sea Grey and once dry, de-masked the upper surfaces and gave the model a couple of coats of gloss clear. Whilst the fuselage was drying, I painted the propeller, undercarriage and cockpit canopy parts before adding the decals to the whole model followed by a couple of coats of matt clear. The final detail painting was carried out before some more panel line shading and weathering over the model in general. The models final assembly was finished off and the gun bay doors were glued laying on the wings showing of the cannons inside.