Supermarine Spitfire Title

Model Details

Kit:
Xtrakit Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XXII, 1/72nd scale.

Detailing Items:
Out Of Box .

Paint:
Various paints from Xtracrylix,Tamiya, Mr Hobby and Revell.

If you have any comments or questions on this model or any others, or about the website, please visit my Guestbook Page.

Back To Gallery Index

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XXII
As a schoolboy, the Spitfire was the aircraft we all loved and admired. Over the last few years I have been building up a collection of Spitfire kits along with the P-51 Mustangs as these were my favourite WWII Allied fighters. With this project, I went old school, putting the airbrush aside to attack the model with the old faithful hairy stick.
Construction started with building and painting the cockpit assembly and interior details. This was not as detailed as some of the more modern kits in this scale, like the new Airfix stuff, but I did my best to paint as much of the detail as I could. Before fitting the interior inside the fuselage, everything was given a dark wash to create shadows and tone things down a little. Once this was dry,the fuselage was then assembled and the joints were cleaned up with any panel lines rescribed. Only a tiny bit of filling was needed on the fuselage which was a good thing after some of the tails I have heard about other Xtrakits models.Work progressed onto the wings, assembling the undercarriage bays to the lower wing sections before adding the upper sections. Once the wing section was cleaned up, it was glued to the fuselage then any filling and cleaning up was done before moving on. The rudder and tail planes were next added to the fuselage and the control surfaces were posed to add a bit of life to the model. Remaining items such as the radiators, bulges for the Griffon engine, guns and pitot were now glued in position on to the aircraft. The main undercarriage gear was assembled and fixed to the doors, but were left off the model to be painted seperately and added later.
Once the cockpit opening was masked and the pilots hatch held in place with some blutac, the model received a couple of light coats of primer then left aside to dry overnight. The underside of the fuselage was first painted with a couple of coats using Xtracrylix's XA0003 medium sea grey colour, then left to dry overnight before masking off where this colour finishes. The camouflage pattern was drawn out on the upper side of the model using a fine pencil before painting the first colour (XA0001 dark green) in the appropriate sections of the pattern. Once this had dried, the next colour (XA0006 ocean grey) was done to finish off the camouflage and once this had dried, the model was then given the sky colour band around the fuselage. When I was happy with the scheme and it was all dry, I gave the model a couple of coat of gloss clear to be ready for decals. Whilst this was left to dry and harden, I continued painting other items like the undercarriage, canopy, exhausts and any other remaining parts. Attention now went back to the fuselage with the decals being added. I chose to use the markings for an aircraft from the Royal Auxilary Air Force "City of Manchester" 613 Sqdn in 1949 and once these were finished and dry, a couple of coats of matt clear was sprayed over the aircraft and other parts which had been painted seperately. Before final assembly took place, the undercarriage bays were quickly painted in colour and then weathered with a dark wash. The remaining painted parts were now added to the modeland some final weathering was done to finish her off.
Going back to brush painting was a little bit of a nostalga trip as I mainly do the main painting with either the airbrush or rattle can. The only time I brush paint these days is for detail painting and small items of a model, otherwise it is with the airbrush mainly. So this was a trip down memory lane to my teenage years.
© Copyright Michael Lomax
All images © Copyright H M Lomax